It finally happened, I've butchered the program. Missed Reps, and hit failure. I went to the gym loaded up the bar ready to set another PR, however, this turned out to be a bad idea. I missed the full 9 reps on the first set. Managing only 7 per set. Then I decided to make up for it with an extra set, hitting only 6 reps and then failing, resulting in the bar on the pins. Never felt so shit in my life.
But why? Most of you may think, it's obvious, the weight was to heavy, but no, I believe it was down to other reasons. Which pinpoints what I feel to be another weakness in the Smolov routine.
I had no choice but to attempt my session late at night, this was because I had a uni/college exam that was in the evening and my efforts were focused on that. This, combined with lack of proper nutrition led to my failed workout. The weight felt light even, but my endurance just wasn't there.
The problem that lies here therefore, is that Smolov doesn't take into account anything else you do in your life, no problems, no stresses, no exhausting activities: This is why certain programs suggest percentages don't work. The day will never come when you can't lift the bar... the day will come when you can't lift the weight you're supposed to lift.
It was a mistake to even go in and attempt the session even if missing it meant I missed one workout. I feel I may have damaged my left adductor in the process.
I'll go in on Wed and attempt the given session; its important not to let failed sessions, ruin your confidence. Just get back up and get back in.
Thanks for sharing your journey, I enjoyed reading it. I'm thinking about starting this program soon, nice to hear from someone who has tried it.
ReplyDelete