Say what?
The Squat
The King of all exercises and possibly one of the hardest to master with good form. If you're weight training consistently you'll already know that squats are the exercise to add all round strength and flexibility, through any variation; back, front, overhead, or Zercher. Personally, Zercher squats are my favourite but for this routine, I chose to back squat. If good results are achieved, I'd 100% try again with Zercher squats, no matter how gruelling.
The Routine
Right where do I begin, the Smolov routine is based around high intensity, splitting into 4 cycles over 14 weeks. Initially designed for powerlifters to add huge weight onto they're 1RM ready for their next event. Although I do not consider myself a powerlifter and numerous places I have read articles that you must squat this much weight before attempting the program, this is such an elite level regime etc. etc. do not put me off in the slightest; I will complete this routine even if it ruins me.
1. Introductory Microcycle
This is a 2 week cycle involving 3 consecutive days of squats, 3 days of lunges/stretching then 3 days more of squatting every other day in the second week. I've just completed this cycle and I have to say the first 3 days were a test, although admittedly I did lower my 1RM by 15Kg as a precaution. After all, it is better to start with a a too light weight rather than a too heavy weight.
2. Base Mesocycle
I begin this intense 4-week cycle on Monday; 4 days of squats per week for 3 weeks and a new 1RM test in the 4th. Each workout, the weight increases, for me, by 5kg. The sets are as follows for each week:
Day 1: 4 sets, 9 reps
Day 2: 5 sets, 7 reps
Day 3: 7 sets, 5 reps
Day 4(immediately after Day 3): 10 sets, 3 reps
I feel like, the 10x3 days are going to be the most excruciating. Bring it on.
3. Switching cycle
2 weeks, 6 workouts, focusing on speed. A combination of squat negatives (Going down but not coming back up), power cleans and box squats. Easy enough right?
4. Intense Mesocycle
Apparently the most horrendous 6 weeks, literally going to be squatting until I drop. Large amount of sets each workout, based off percentages of the new 1RM from the Base mesocycle. It all ends with a new 1RM test for which I'm hoping to get a 150kg back squat. Going to stock up on Deep Freeze for this I think!
I've never really followed a routine like this before but I'll blog my results and experiences from this and many others to come. Smolov sounds hard, sounds painful, sounds like I'll never want to squat again, but most of all, sounds like fun. Right now I'm going to enjoy my weekend of rest before starting the base Mesocycle on Monday.
2. Base Mesocycle
I begin this intense 4-week cycle on Monday; 4 days of squats per week for 3 weeks and a new 1RM test in the 4th. Each workout, the weight increases, for me, by 5kg. The sets are as follows for each week:
Day 1: 4 sets, 9 reps
Day 2: 5 sets, 7 reps
Day 3: 7 sets, 5 reps
Day 4(immediately after Day 3): 10 sets, 3 reps
I feel like, the 10x3 days are going to be the most excruciating. Bring it on.
3. Switching cycle
2 weeks, 6 workouts, focusing on speed. A combination of squat negatives (Going down but not coming back up), power cleans and box squats. Easy enough right?
4. Intense Mesocycle
Apparently the most horrendous 6 weeks, literally going to be squatting until I drop. Large amount of sets each workout, based off percentages of the new 1RM from the Base mesocycle. It all ends with a new 1RM test for which I'm hoping to get a 150kg back squat. Going to stock up on Deep Freeze for this I think!
I've never really followed a routine like this before but I'll blog my results and experiences from this and many others to come. Smolov sounds hard, sounds painful, sounds like I'll never want to squat again, but most of all, sounds like fun. Right now I'm going to enjoy my weekend of rest before starting the base Mesocycle on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment