Saturday, 4 February 2012

Smolov Progress III

The bulk of the base cycle is complete. Only one more session for next week which involves working up to the new one rep max. My joints will thank me for the rest to come!

Most would think you'd get used to the volume by week 3, but for me, it has been the greatest challenge with every session taking everything I had. On two occasions I tried to finish with pull-ups or dips but with nothing left in the tank, just couldn't manage a single set.

Even if my 1RM hasn't increased, I can at least prove my strength gains, in that today's session needed 10 sets of 3 reps at the entered 1RM for the start of the cycle (without a struggle).

But at this point I would like to pinpoint a flaw in this routine. It is taxing on the joints, in particular the knees. I've spent countless sessions working on my technique for the back squat using others opinions and my bodies reactions and never before have my knees hurt after squatting.

It seems to me my muscles are used to the volume and heal fine, but my joints don't, and this has become noticeable this week. The problem I have with the staggered volume is that everything doesn't heal at the same pace, so some sessions you could be pushing with strong muscles over weak joints, which, with heavy weight, could lead to injury. 

No comments:

Post a Comment