Thursday, 1 March 2012

Smolov Intense Cycle

Supposedly the hardest part of the programme, squatting high volume, at 80-90%. Good old Smolov prescribes this in smaller doses compared with the base cycle. You only have to squat 3 times a week, but for good reason, for your back, hips, legs, core and mentality to recover!

The hardest session will be the 2nd of the week so it's advised to take 2 days off to eat, sleep and stretch. I have just completed this myself not long ago and yes, it was extremely hard, even with my percentages calculated from a lowered 1RM (Just as well considering illness!!). Although I feel like I could squeeze the next session in without 2 days rest, I'm going to stick with Smolov and use the complete time. Besides, in the coming weeks, as the weights get heavier, I'm sure I'll begin to understand why such time has been allocated for rest.

During this cycle I intend to bench and include some push presses, and possibly some pull-ups. Nothing More. Its this cycle where a lot of people tend to fail and quit the programme, but i'm not going to let that be an option, I've started it and I'll finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment